Fjarðalistinn wants to build up a fair community where the human rights of its inhabitants are respected, and assistance is offered when it’s needed. We want to respectfully support those who need assistance in participating in the community. We also believe that diversity is the strength of Fjarðabyggð and celebrate the multi-cultural growth of our community.
We want to:
- Strengthen and establish Sprettur, with its goal for the quick intervention on children’s issues, with applicable support and solutions found locally.
- Work towards creating a mobile Center for mental wellbeing.
- Efficiently and openly welcome people from all over the world as well as those who seek refuge.
- Increase accessibility of public buildings of the municipality for people with disabilities.
- Continue winter and summer activities for children with disabilities.
- Further emphasize personalized support for people with disabilities.
- Offer good local medical facilities to make independent living easier for elderly and handicapped individuals.
- Use online communication to facilitate active participation and independence of elderly citizens, as well as use welfare technology for improvement.
- Follow strategies on elderly matters in communication with elderly citizens.
- Support further health initiatives for elderly citizens with organized activities.
- Support social activities for elderly citizens and reduce unwanted loneliness.
- Create organized elderly daycare, as such services are already available in Breiðdalsvík.
We need to constantly work towards equality and cannot, as a community, lose track of efforts gained regarding equality. For example, there are more men than women in Fjarðabyggð, and women´s salaries are significantly lower than men’s salaries. This is an issue we all need to address, while not forgetting other marginalized groups that also struggle for equality.
We want to:
Increase education on equality matters, both in education and with open meetings and seminars.
Have the diversity of our community at the forefront when job openings are advertised.
Work towards a plan to make restrooms and locker rooms unisex in public buildings in Fjarðabyggð.
Prioritize equality matters for the cultural and innovation committee, as well as within the town council, and guarantee ongoing discussion on equality within the business realms of the municipality.
Focus on equality in relation to job creation and innovation.
Guarantee that the current equality plans of Fjarðabyggð will be followed.
Guarantee accessibility of Icelandic lessons to all inhabitants of foreign backgrounds, free of charge.
Promote education for and prevention against prejudice and discrimination throughout the municipality.
Employment and value creation
Strong business environment is the foundation of welfare in Fjarðabyggð. Fjarðalistinn wants to support powerful businesses locally and create an environment that facilitates innovation. We also aim to guarantee enough and safe electricity for individuals and businesses.
We want to:
- Continue building up harbor facilities to support the strong fisheries and export industries.
- Make Fjarðabyggð an attractive location for innovation and start-up companies, and support development and research on the strong local industry.
- Initiate a search for a suitable location in all the towns in Fjarðabyggð for a remote work center.
- Look into possibilities to increase the flexibility of remote work within Fjarðabyggð.
- Support tourism in the East and increase cooperation, as well as create a basis for further groundwork and diversity within the field.
- Lead the way in relation to culture, art, and innovation to diversify job opportunities.
- Support universities, research, and innovation communities in the area, in relation to creating new workplaces and fields that can diversify the business life.
- Work towards creating a green energy park.
- Make Fjarðabyggð lead the way in the green energy transition.
- Support sustainable food production and guarantee that negative environmental impact will be kept at a minimum.
- Put further pressure on the construction of fiber-optic cables in urban spaces, which are the premises of progress and increase in employment. Connecting fiber-optic cables shall be finalized in rural areas on the south shore of Reyðarfjörður and on the north shore of Fáskrúðsfjörður.
Housing, the environment, and infrastructure
Increased construction of housing has rarely been as important as now. Sustainability will continue to play a big part of the long-term vision of Fjarðabyggð, and the environment will continue to factor in decision making.
We want to:
- Continue the good cooperation we’ve had with housing rental agencies Bríet and Brák, similar agencies and contractors regarding further construction of housing in Fjarðabyggð.
- Maintain road maintenance fee discounts and offer payment distribution at the end of construction for individuals.
- Guarantee a diverse offer of housing construction plots in Fjarðabyggð.
- Simplify the search for available plots in Fjarðabyggð and streamline the plot allocation process.
- Work towards increasing housing for elderly citizens, with an emphasis on increasing small- and medium-size apartments.
- Develop infrastructure for a green energy park.
- Continue to support free public transport within Fjarðabyggð.
- Make a long-term plan regarding sewer drainage.
- Develop alternative policies for waste management.
- Limit waste and minimize the use of plastics.
- Continue to introduce waste sorting to inhabitants, companies, and schools, free of charge, for increased environmental awareness.
- Make the municipality a role model and a leader in the use of environmentally friendly vehicles.
- Work towards creating walking and bicycle paths in Fjarðabyggð.
- Make a long-term plan for construction, repairs, and preemptive maintenance of buildings, roads, and utilities.
- Follow the ambitious environmental and climate policies of Fjarðabyggð which were agreed upon in the last term.
Sports, culture, and recreation
Democracy and administration
Enable the democracy of the inhabitants, e.g., by prioritizing new implementation in more consultation with the inhabitants.
Review the distribution of income and division of duties between the state and municipalities.
Guarantee that information about municipality services and news are accessible.
Along with the aforementioned statements, we will strive to:
Make the state carry on with sustainable infrastructure in relation to energy matters.
Work towards further improvement of transport, especially for Suðurfjarðavegur and Mjóifjörður.
Get the government to increase the number of nursing spaces in the municipality.
Move the planning authority of fjords and creeks to the municipalities.
Have construction of flood defenses continue in full force.
Empower the local government, by reviewing the distribution of income and division of duties between the state and the municipalities.